You say potato, I say bake it, whip it with cashews, a few spices, and bake it again.
Twice baked potatoes are a great, tasty way to share your love this holiday season. No need for butter, cheese or sour cream in these bad boys. Just some good, ol’ fashioned cashew cream and a pinch of love.
TWICE BAKED POTATOES
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, soy free
Yields 12 potato halves
- 6 red potatoes
- 1 ½ cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked for at least 1 hr.*
- ¾ cup water + more (for soaking cashews)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- paprika, for garnish
- chives thinly sliced, for garnish
- 2-4 Tbsp. plant milk, for potato mixture
- Soak cashews in cold water for at least one hour. If you have a high-powered blender (i.e. Vitamix or Blendtec), you can soak for 20 minutes and the mixture should still be creamy.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Scrub potatoes, pat dry and poke shallow holes in each potato.
- Bake potatoes for 35-45 minutes, or until tender (squeeze using an oven mitt)
- Prepare Cashew Cream
- Once soaked, drain cashews
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, combine soaked cashews, lemon juice, ¾ cup water, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Blend for a couple minutes until mixture is creamy and smooth. Time may vary depending on the appliance you’re using.
- Once potatoes are cooked, cut in half (be careful of steam) and scoop out the center leaving a little potato at the bottom of each skin.
- Combine potato flesh and cashew cream mixture in a mixing bowl. Mix, using a hand mixer or standing mixture, until potatoes are fluffy and creamy. Add plant milk to thin out and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of the potato mixture back into each potato, place potatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle with paprika and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once baked, remove potatoes from heat, garnish with chives and serve.
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 12/19/15
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Briana – Sweaty Saturday!