On this Sunday Stretch soften, soothe and enliven with this gentle inversion, Wide-Legged Forward Fold Pose.
Wide-Legged Forward Fold Pose or Prasarita Padottanasana (pra-sa-REE-tah pah-doh-tahn-AHS-ana)
- Begin in Triangle Pose.
- From Triangle Pose, spin your toes to face the left side of your mat.
- Exhale into Wide-Legged Forward Fold Pose.
- Stretch your arms out wide, spin your palms upward and reach your fingertips in opposition.
- Inhale, lift your gaze high and reach your heart upward.
- Exhale, fold forward, hinging from your hips.
- Soften your knees.
- Lengthen through your spine.
- Stack your hips over your ankles.
- Shift your weight into the ball mounds of your feet.
- Bring your hands on the lateral (outer) part of our ankles and send your elbows wide or plant your palms shoulder-width distance apart and bend your elbows Chaturanga style (hug toward your midline).
- Press down into the lateral (outer) edges of your feet and lift up through your arches.
- Soften your shoulders away from your ears.
- Release the crown of your head down toward your mat.
- Hold and breathe for several rounds of breath.
- This pose is a great preparatory pose for Tripod Headstand.
- For individuals with tender low backs, shorten your stance and bend your knees more deeply.
- Releases hamstrings and calves.
- Relieves mild backache.
- Therapeutic for fatigue, headache and mild depression.
- Calms and settles the mind.
- Restores mental clarity.
Chakra (Energetic Body)
- The second chakra (Svadisthana) is soothed during Wide-Legged Forward Fold Pose. Svadisthana represents intimacy, adventure, connection and creativity. The color of this chakra is orange and the essence of this chakra is water. When this chakra is in balance we are more centered and forgiving.
- Calming your mind does wonders for your spirit. Observe your thought patterns and habits, and take this opportunity to check in. Notice where there’s room for improvement. Refrain from self-criticism and judgment. Instead, allow your body to settle into this pose and see where it takes you.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 8/1/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – Met Con Monday
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – Met Con Monday
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach James – HIIT Monday
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Jentry & Coach Kristin HIIT Monday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – Met Con Monday
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels HIIT – Coach Joel (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach James (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach James (private class)