Back bends a big challenge for many of us! The superman exercise is a great way to strengthen the erector spinae, which is the muscle group that runs along the spine. Many os us suffer from rounded posture, which indicates lengthened and weakened erector spinae muscles. This exercise (coupled with stretching of the front body) will help strengthen this muscle group and promote better posture.
Though its easy to perform, there are some subtle details that can help prevent cramping and injury. Be sure to preform this exercise slowly and smoothly.
- Begin by lying face down on your mat.
- Extend your arms forward, with palms facing each other. If your shoulder disagrees with this position, keep your arms by your sides with your palms facing down.
- Make sure your legs are parallel to each other, and inch your legs as close together as you can. This can cause tension in the low back. If it does then do the exercise with legs at a comfortable space.
- With your forehead down, inhale then when you exhale press your abdomen into the mat. Inhale and lift your chest/arms/legs. Many people lift the chin at this point. Avoid this by looking straight down and keeping a neutral neck position.
- Exhale and lower all down.
- Perform 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Between sets rest one ear on the mat for a 10 count/then turn head to rest the other ear. Advanced practitioners can hold the pose for 5 breaths, performing 3-5 sets.
When you are finished perform cat cow for 5 sets, and then rest in childs pose for a bit.
Coach Jentry performing a banded superman, which is a great way to make sure that the legs and glutes are active stabilizers.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Wednesday 5/11/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Karen – Coreture™
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Briana – Coreture™
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Briana – Coreture™
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Jentry – Coreture™
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Michelle – Tripple Play Circuit
11:00AM Cytosport In Trinity In Meditation – Coach Jentry (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Next Level In Trinity – Coach Michelle (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)