Mountain climbers… the name itself speaks volumes on what this movement asks of the body. Mobility, stability, cardio endurance…of course. But there’s a lot more to LOVE about them than their physical state. Mountain climbers take grit. They are truly exhausting, and I really love them because “cheating” them makes them harder! Therefore, they are a great way to buckle down and develop tenacity and build resilience; for increasing our mental toughness. Read Coach Jentrys HIGH PLANK POSE notes from Sunday Stretch to get details on step 1.
To your health, Coach M
- Begin in a strong high plank position with shoulders over wrists. Spread your finger bones out wide like starfish. Use weights under hands if your wrists need support.
- Place your right foot outside your right hand accomplishing vertical shin. Keep your sacrum stable by reengaging your core.
- Check in with your shoulder girdle by pushing down in to your hands and lifting out of your shoulders.
- Powerfully lift your hips and switch leg positions.
- Continue to using the power of the core complex and shoulders to explode away from the ground in order to accomplish vertical shin on the front leg upon landing.
- In order to develop the hip mobility needed to accomplish a mountain climber, perform piriformis release and couch stretch.
- If Mountain Climbers aren’t best for your body, modify with Hi Plank Knee Tucks or high knees in place.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Wednesday 6/15/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Karen – Core Cardio Humpday
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Briana – Core Cardio Humpday
8AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach James – Core Cardio Humpday
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Briana & Coach Michelle – Core Cardio Humpday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Jentry – Core Cardio Humpday
11:00AM Cytosport In Trinity In Meditation – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Next Level In Trinity – Coach Michelle (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)