What motivates you to exercise? Is it to increase your strength, endurance, or flexibility? Is it to obtain that perfectly toned physique? Is it to reduce your stress levels? Is it to supercharge your brain? Is it all of those? Or none?
Exercise can check a lot of boxes when it comes to boosting our physical bodies and mental health. Today, we are diving deep into the protective power of exercise on our brains, the most complex machine on the planet. HERE you will find a super awesome, inspiring TED Talk by Wendy Suzuki, a neuroscientist who offers a new perspective on how exercise positively impacts the brain.
Here are few take-aways:
- exercise has both immediate and lasting effects on the brain – increasing serotonin, noradrenaline and dopamine, thus boosting mood.
- exercise produces new brain cells and strengthens both the…
- prefrontal cortex (right behind the forehead), which is critical for decision-making, focus and personality
- the hippocampus (located in the temporal lobe), which supports our ability to form and retain longterm memories
- Aerobic exercise and a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise 3-4 times/week will help improve overall brain function.
So, when you’re jumping rope, lifting weights or TRXing your heart out, think about all the ways in which your brain is benefiting.
Gumsaba Boot Camp – DIY TRX
Part 1: TRX Mobility 10 each 1X
Alternating T Lunge
Wide Leg Hip Hinge
Figure 4 squat (each)
Single Leg Alternating Hip Hinge
Part 2: 5 Minutes rhythmic cardio
ie: walk, jog, run, row, or bike
Part 3: Count Reps Sets
Set 1: 4X
8 TRX Squat Row
8 TRX Chest Press
8 TRX Alternating Crossback Lunges
80 Skips on Jumrope
Set 2: 4X
8e TRX Power Pull
8e TRX Hip Drop
8e TRX Lateral Lunges
16 TRX Skaters
Set 3: 4X
8 TRX Triceps Press
8 TRX Overhead Squats
8 TRX Muscle Ups
16 TRX Frog Jumps
Part 4: Run Intervals
Jog 60 seconds, Sprint 20 Seconds. Repeat 8-10X
Part 5: Stretch 60 seconds each side
Thread the Needle
Prone Chest Stretch
Hip Flexor Stretch Kneeling or standing
Written by: Coach Jentry on June 6, 2018.